Who we are
The Brevard Indian River Lagoon Coalition is a leading, independent advocate for a healthy Lagoon. The Coalition brings together organizations, businesses and individuals who share the goal of supporting restoration of the Lagoon. We are an all-volunteer, 501(c)(3) non-profit, nonpartisan organization.
Our vision is an Indian River Lagoon of clear waters, alive with lush sea grass beds, thriving fish, birds, manatees and dolphins – a healthy place where our families can play.
What we do
- Foster awareness, education and actions in support of returning our Lagoon to health through science-based efforts designed to address the complex problems affecting the Lagoon
- Collaborate and support the community of citizens, boaters, tourism, anglers, businesses and non-profit organizations to advocate for the lagoon effectively
- Support, monitor and suggest changes to the Save Our Lagoon Citizens Oversight Committee that provides oversight and input to county government regarding the Save Our Lagoon Project Plan
- Regularly report the progress of Brevard County’s Save Our Lagoon Project Plan to the community
- Educate politicians and officials on the importance of adequate funding and support to clean up our waterways
- Support state and federal funding assistance for Florida’s cities and counties working to clean waterways throughout Florida
Key Programs and Accomplishments
Lagoon Straight Talk Community Forums
- January 2020 – Satellite High School
- September 2019 – Courtyard Marriott, Cocoa Beach – 200 attendees
- June 2019, Dixie Crossroads, Titusville – 150+ attendees
- February 2019, Florida Tech – 500 attendees
July 2020: Web-based Lagoon Straight Talk initiative: an online resource to provide accurate, science-based timely information about the Brevard Indian River Lagoon in a fresh, accessible style. Content will include white papers, Q&A, briefs and how-tos, among others.
2019 Supported passage of Brevard County Septic Tank Ordinance requiring new or replacement systems to meet advanced treatment standards
2019 Launched “What You Can Do for the Lagoon” campaign
June – September 2019 Fertilizer Ban education and awareness
2018 and 2019 Addressed Brevard County, Florida legislative delegation in support of legislation and funding for Florida and Indian River Lagoon waters
2016 Conducted community-wide education campaign on the proposed half-cent sales tax and Brevard County’s Save Our Lagoon Project. The proposal passed with support of all voting precincts.