The Brevard Indian River Lagoon Coalition provides an online source of information, Lagoon news, and an serves as an ongoing resource for what others are doing and for you can do to make a difference in the health of the Lagoon.
Lagoon Straight Talks are Community Forums held in various places across the county, with guest speakers engaged in presentations and interactions with citizens like you.
With small groups and for audiences from 200 to 500, Lagoon Straight Talks are a recommended way to expand knowledge, learn about needs, and find ways each one of us can contribute to Lagoon preservation and health.
Lagoon Minutes are 1 minute audio posts about the Lagoon, hosted by MJ Waters, BIRLC Board Member. Learn more about our Indian River Lagoon and how you can get involved with community groups and people who are actively engaged in restoration. LINK to WFIT Lagoon Minutes HERE
Hear new Lagoon Minutes on WFIT 89.5 FM every Thursday 7:50am and 5:48pm
BIRLC offers a special thank you to Terri Wright, General Manager at WFIT, for helping make these teaching moments happen.
LOOKING BACK: TIMELINE
July 2020: Web-based Lagoon Straight Talk initiative: an online resource to provide accurate, science-based timely information about the Brevard Indian River Lagoon in a fresh, accessible style. Content will include white papers, Q&A, briefs and how-tos, among others.
2019 Supported passage of Brevard County Septic Tank Ordinance requiring new or replacement systems to meet advanced treatment standards
2019 Launched “What You Can Do for the Lagoon” campaign
June – September 2019 Fertilizer Ban education and awareness
2018 and 2019 Addressed Brevard County, Florida legislative delegation in support of legislation and funding for Florida and Indian River Lagoon waters
2016 Conducted community-wide education campaign on the proposed half-cent sales tax and Brevard County’s Save Our Lagoon Project. The proposal passed with support of all voting precincts.
STRAIGHT TALK COMMUNITY FORUMS
Lagoon Straight Talks are free forums intended to provide an overview of current and planned projects and to provide answers to a concerned public.
Visit our Calendar for Lagoon Straight Talk Events and other community events from collaborating partners.
Several Straight Talk Event videos can be accessed below:
- March 2021. Update on Health on the Indian River Lagoon. Palm Bay Virtual Event
- Click here to watch the event.
- Straight Talk with Jennifer Mitchell, Ph.D., Communications Coordinator, St. Johns River Water Management District.
- Straight Talk with Suzanne Sherman, City Manager, City of Palm Bay.
- Straight Talk with Virginia Barker, Director, Natural Resources Management Department.
- Jan 2020. Straight Talk - Indian River Lagoon Program Update. An event held at Satellite High School.
- June 2019. Straight Talk about the Indian River Lagoon. An event held at Dixie Crossroads in Titusville.
- January 2019. Sewage System, Septic and Muck in our region. An event held at Gleason Auditorium, FL Institute of Technology