Brevard health officials warn of toxic algae in Lake Washington, Stick Marsh

Best not drink, swim, wade, boat in or eat fish from Lake Washington or the Stick Marsh, health officials warned. Don’t let your dog sip the water either.

The Florida Department of Health in Brevard issued a health alert Tuesday about harmful blue-green algae toxins in Lake Washington and the Stick Marsh. Samples drawn on Dec. 27 and Dec. 28 found the microcystin toxin present in the two water bodies.

Lake Washington is the main source of drinking water for more than 170,000 people served by the city of Melbourne’s water system. But health officials said the levels of the algae toxin are so low that there’s no risk to water customers.

“This has nothing to do with the drinking water plant. There is no alert for the drinking water,” said Cynthia Leckey, environmental health director, Brevard County Health Department.

Source: Florida Today